Is A One Page Website, Good or Bad?
For startups, you may think just getting a one page website up and running might be a good thing, but for SEO results, it is much harder to optimize a one page website. Why is this?
Downside for SEO
- Page ranking – you only have a single web page to rank for Google so it is hard for Google to find you if you have multiple services. For example, if you are a home renovation company and you want to showcase, kitchens, bathrooms, and basement renovations, which keyword do you use on your one page?
- Hard to keep the content fresh – Google rates websites by content. The more you add current content that people are searching for, the more Google likes you, and keeps pushing your website up the rankings. That’s what a business is looking for, a higher page ranking, without having to spend a huge budget on either Google or Facebook ads. If you have only one page, you will need to work at changing out the copy on a consistent basis in order for Google to find something new on your one page.
- A multiple page website allows you to add a blog section. A blog section makes it easy for you to add content and as we have mentioned, Google is always looking for content, so adding a monthly blog where you write about your expertise or post video or podcasts, is a great way to get attention. Think of all the different keywords you can use every month.
- Google explains how it looks at a single page website in this article on single page application tracking. So the short version is, yes you can rank a single page website for SEO but it is probably more work for the average person than setting up a multiple page website.
- The Yoast Plugin for WordPress websites can help you with you with page ranking on a single page website. It’s just a little trickier than a multiple page website.
A One Page Website Can Be Confusing To the Reader
- If you visit a multi-page website that has an easy to navigate landing page divided into the key services your company offers, it is easy to jump to the specific web page you are looking for, especially if there is a Call To Action button such as “Learn More”, or “Read More”. Let’s take the renovation company example. On the landing page, it can highlight three sections, kitchens, bathrooms and basements. Below each segment is a Call To Action button taking the reader exactly to the specific page they require ie basements. If this was just one page, you could be scrolling for a while to find the information on “basements”.
- There is just too much information to take in on one page. Before you know it you have forgotten what was at the top of the page, and you are scrolling back and forth numerous times to catch what you have missed.
Is There A Place For A Single Page Website?
Yes, absolutely! If you have a specific event a one page website is ideal for this purpose. It is easy to target the keywords because it is a one time event. It is a great opportunity for PR and sales as there is a focal point to the one page. The goal of a one page event website is to get participation in the event, either a call out for volunteers or ticket sales or both.
A Single Web Page Example
One of the best examples of a one page website is the one set up by McMaster University for its December 2019 TEDx talk in Hamilton, Ontario. Check out this great one page event website here.
What do we like about this awesome one page website?
- It’s Bold! – The red/black colors make it really stand out
- Use of Space – It’s well laid out with plenty of space and text kept to the minimum
- Clear Text – Just the Facts!
- Large Heading Fonts – You just can’t miss the headlines. Each One is a Call to Action
but…hold on…secretly it isn’t a single web page!
On the surface it looks like a one page website, but there other pages, they are just hidden and not on the menu. The upside is the University is able to use multiple keywords for these additional pages, even though they aren’t on the menu…..!
If all this is confusing to you and you are looking to get your business up and running online, why not contact us for a half hour complimentary chat? We can help launch you online with an awesome website. We can guide you and even write the marketing/sales focused copy for you for targeted SEO keywords or just design the website. It’s all up to you! We love working with startups. See what our clients have to say about our work.